The Iowa Family & Educator Partnership (Iowa FEP) provides parents and educators with opportunities to work together in positive ways to improve educational programs for children/youth with special needs.
The Iowa FEP operates through each of the Area Education Agencies and is part of a statewide network. We consist of Family & Educator Coordinators (parents of children with special needs) and an Educator Representative (special education division staff member). The Iowa Family & Educator Partnership works to develop and sustain effective partnerships between families, educators, and community providers to promote success for all children and youth with disabilities.
The Family & Educator Partnership helps families and educators by:
- Answering questions either by phone, e-mail, or in person.
- Referring to other resources.
- Assisting with the communication process between families and schools.
- Providing information about the IEP/IFSP process.
- Review of procedural safeguards.
- Help prepare for a meeting.
- Attend IEP/IFSP or other school meetings as requested by the local school, AEA staff, or parents.
- Helping a family develop a vision for the student’s future.
- Providing workshops on transition related topics.
- Sharing information about community resources.
- Collaborating with other agencies on family support and transition related issues.
- Creating partnerships early builds the foundation for family and child success
- Families, educators and community providers all have important roles, responsibilities, and perspectives in the education and support of children
- Successful partnerships work together by recognizing, understanding and respecting individual differences
- Each family has the option to access a variety of services and supports through the FEP, depending upon their needs at any point in time.
Foreign Language Resources
ChildFind Booklet (Spanish)
Early ACCESS (Spanish)
Parent Evaluation for Reevaluation (Spanish)
Parent Information for Initial IEP Meeting (Spanish)
Parental Rights Summary (Mandarin)
Planning for Your Child’s IEP Meeting (Spanish)
Procedural Safeguards for Parents (Mandarin)
Procedural Safeguards for Parents (Marshallese)
Procedural Safeguards Manual for Parents (Spanish)
Positive Student Profile (Spanish)
State FEP Brochure (Spanish)
What to Expect at an IEP Meeting (Spanish)