Math services provide professional learning and coaching of instructional approaches in Iowa Core mathematics, conceptual understanding, problem-based learning, and differentiated instruction for K-12 students.
Green Hills Resources
Click here or on the picture for Universal Series #1: Getting Started resources
Click here or on the picture for Universal Series #2: Accelerating Learning resources
Session 1: Essential grade-level content and necessary prerequisites
Session 2: Assessing unfinished learning
Session 3: Scaffolding unfinished learning through Just in time supports
Session 4: Strategies for Scaffolding in Math: Worked sample problems
Session 5: Strategies for Scaffolding in Math: Increase focus and structure with Explicit Instruction (Teacher Think Aloud) and Feedback
Session 6: Strategies for scaffolding in Math: Accessing background knowledge by focusing on structure.
Through collaboration between the Iowa Department of Education and the state’s AEAs, tools were developed for schools to utilize through the process of school improvement. Learn more about the universal tier tools here. For further assistance please contact the math team or school improvement team.
Standards & Enacted Curriculum
- Mathematics Instructional Practice Guide
- Standards & Position Executive Summary
- Module 2 Instructional Practices
- Inside Mathematics – video excerpts of mathematics lessons highlighting the mathematical practices
Assessment for Learning
Specially Designed Instruction in Tier 2 & 3
Interventions by Grade Level Flow Charts
MTSS Supports (GHAEA Videos)
Diagnostic assessments commonly used in special education in our agency include:
- Junior Assessment of Mathematics
- Cognition-Based Assessments (Battista)
- Support Ongoing Achievement Responsibly (SOAR) Surveys
- Assessing Math Concepts
Math intervention recommendations are based on research and “best practice”.
- IES Practice Guide – Assisting Students Struggling with Mathematics: RTI for elementary and middle school
- IES Practice Guide – Teaching Strategies for Improving Algebra Knowledge in Middle and High School Students
- Best Practices in Online Math and Reading Instruction
- Intervention System Flowchart
- Diagnostic System Flowchart
- SDI Framework
The math interventions most commonly used by special education in our agency include:
- Whole Number Foundations (K)
- Number Sense Intervention
- Bridges Intervention
- Do the Math
- Support Ongoing Achievement Responsibly (SOAR)
- Math by Example
- Algebra by Example
Progress monitoring refers to routine checks of learning growth (ie., rate of progress) a student demonstrates. This includes multiple types of assessments that may or may not be used as an IEP goal.