The Brain Injury Team serves as a contact and resource for helping districts serving a student who has suffered a brain injury. The Brain Injury Team facilitates communication and provides educational consultation for these students.
Because brain injuries are highly variable, the team is available for on-going support as individuals with brain injuries progress through a school system.
Services may include:
- Attending transition meetings at hospitals and rehab facilities
- Providing professional development and training for schools and families on issues related to brain injury
- Providing resources such as books, pamphlets, DVDs, and links to websites with brain injury resources
- Helping schools determine accommodations
- Providing support to building IEP teams for both short and long-term services.
The team is part of a state network that includes the Department of Education, University of Iowa Center for Disabilities and Development, and the Brain Injury Alliance of Iowa. Referrals for services come from medical sources, AEA support staff, school districts, and families.