The 20-hour course is designed to meet the requirements for the Substitute Authorization License. According to the Governor of Iowa’s Proclamation as of July 17, 2020, and for the duration of the proclamation, you can receive a Substitute Authorization License if you hold a bachelor’s degree to an associate’s degree or 60 semester hours through a regionally-accredited institution. The age requirement is 20 years of age or older. *
Certified Paraeducators must also have a substitution authorization license to serve as a substitute teacher.
- If the paraeducator holds a regular substitute authorization, they may serve as a substitute teacher in any classroom except driver’s ed (this is not a change).
- If the paraeducator holds the limited substitute authorization to serve as a substitute teacher only in their own special education classroom, they may substitute in any classroom during this proclamation.
Holders of a career and technical authorization with at least one year of experience may serve as a substitute in any classroom (except driver education) as long as they hold the substitute authorization license.
The course includes components on ethics, diversity, instructional strategies, and behavior management.
*Changes to the day limitation, degree requirement, and allowing persons with additional authorizations allowed to serve as substitute teachers are proposed as permanent rule changes and are awaiting final approval. The proposed permanent changes do not include the above temporary changes to the age requirement or the authority of a paraeducator.
When you are ready to register:
- Log into the AEA Professional Learning Registration site (use the same login information as you do for Bloodborne Pathogens, Mandatory Reporter, etc)
- If you do not have an account, create an account at AEA Learning Online. The next business day, log into our statewide AEA Professional Learning Registration site using the same email and password you used on the AEA Learning Online site.
- On the courses tab, you can type in the course or section number or search for substitute authorization.